4 Members of the same family died due to suffocation after drowning in a well at their house in Budirio 4, Harare this Monday morning, in a tragedy that has left the whole Budiriro community in shock.
What started as any other Monday morning for the Jokomela family soon turned out to be a nightmare after brothers, Tom (35), Cleopas Jnr (32) and McLove (31) decided to clean their well which is situated right in front of their house.
In no time, the brothers had managed to empty most of the murky water from the well and the youngest decided to get inside the well to remove the remaining water, and that was the last time he was seen alive.
Their mother, Grace Chikembe Jokomela, who was visibly in shock, explained how the other two brothers and her husband followed into the well in a bid to help but also died died due to suffocation.
“McLove went into the well first and when he was suffocating, the other brother went in to rescue him and he as well suffocated. The third also went in and suffocated as well. That is when we called their father, who also suffocated trying to rescue my last son who was still alive. We suspect that there was lack of oxygen in the well after they had used a generator pump to pump out the water,” she said.
The Fire Brigade and an ambulance were called but by then, all the four were already dead.