They further claimed that Global DNA Diagnostic Centre and Expedite DNA Zimbabwe, are not registered members of The Medical Laboratory and Clinical Scientists Council of Zimbabwe and the Health Professional Councils in Zimbabwe.
Mugabe is not a stranger to controversy, some years ago a Zimbabwean born Australian woman, Abigail Prangs, was given fake maternal DNA test results. The woman who was abandoned at birth before being adopted by an Australian couple later found out that the person was not her biological mother. Confronted with the results, Mugabe called police alleging that the Australians tried to kidnap him.
Zimbabwe authorities did not act at the time but now they have come out guns blazing following a series of sensational DNA stories that have caused controversy and torn many families apart.
Below is the statement from Chari C Mubvumbi Ranganayi, the Chairman of The Council:
The Medical Laboratory & Clinical Scientists Council of Zimbabwe (MLCSCZ) is a regulatory authority established in terms of Part IX, Section 49 of the Health Professions Act, Chapter 27:19.
Subject to Health Professions Act, (Chapter 27:19) the functions of the Council are:
(a) to assist in the promotion of the health of the population of Zimbabwe; and
(b) to regulate, control and supervise all matters affecting the training of persons in, and the manner of the exercise of, the medical laboratory professions and; (c) to advise the Minister on any matter affecting the medical laboratory profession or calling; and
(d) to communicate to the Minister information on matters of public importance acquired by the Council in the performance of its functions under this Act.
One of such matter of public importance acquired by the Council in the performance of its functions under the Health Professions Act (Chapter 27:19) is the publication of unscientifically substantiated percentage paternity tests results in the Sunday Mail of 5 September 2021.
The Medical Laboratory & Clinical Scientists Council of Zimbabwe would like to set the record straight:
- Global DNA Zimbabwe and Expedite DNA Zimbabwe are registered with Council as DNA collection sites and not testing sites.
- According to the Health Professions Act, medical laboratory test is requested for by qualified and registered clinicians.
- Upon successful completion of the testing process, the test results are sent back to the requesting clinicians who are qualified to advise patients and clients in an ethical manner.
- Professional Code of Conducts of various health professionals in Zimbabwe clearly states that divulging either orally or in writing, any information concerning a patient/client test result ought not to be divulged to third parties except where so required by law.
- Mr Tinashe Mugabe of Global DNA of The Closure DNA Show and Jane of Expedite DNA Zimbabwe Tilder Live Zim Show are not registered members of the Medical Laboratory & Clinical Scientists Council of Zimbabwe nor sister Health Professional Councils in Zimbabwe.
- Mr Tinashe Mugabe and Jane are not professionally qualified nor competent to issue those test results.
Therefore, the Medical Laboratory & Clinical Scientists Council of Zimbabwe condemns such unethical practice on the poor and the marginalised population by Global DNA Zimbabwe and Expedite DNA Zimbabwe.
- The Medical Laboratory & Clinical Scientists Council of Zimbabwe urges the Zimbabwean population not to be coerced into receiving Paternity results in such an unprofessional manner.