Property worthy more than $ 100 000 was destroyed yesterday when a fire gutted a hostel housing 63 girls at Mukaro Catholic Secondary School.

mukaro school hostel fire

mukaro school fire

According to a statement given by the headmaster no one was hurt in the inferno.

The fire was caused by a candle that was left under bed by one of the students. Foul play has been ruled out.

In 2012 the school made headlines when students took to the streets to demonstrate against poor conditions at the boarding college.