25 members of the Seventh Day Adventist church in Gokwe were admitted at hospital after they developed stomach problems due to poisoned food.

The poisoning was a result of them eating boiled maize cooked in a rusty and unclean pot that might have reacted bad in their stomachs.

All affected people are from Mafungautsi SDA Church in Chief Njelele area.

Chief Njelele, speaking from the hospital yesterday where he was visiting the sick, confirmed the incident that occurred in his area of jurisdiction.

He said the church members were being treated for food poisoning.

The chief said congregants fell ill after eating traditional food umxhanxa that had been cooked in a rusty three legged pot.

“I can confirm that 25 people from SDA church are being treated for food poisoning. It’s not like poison was laced in the food. No. But they cooked umxhanxa in a pot that was dirty. A pot that had rust,” he said.

Chief Njelele said some were seriously ill while others had been treated and discharged.