A suspected petrol and liquefied gas explosion at Nkayi Business Centre last Friday claimed the lives of two people, while three others, including a one-year-two-month old baby were seriously injured.

Nkayi South parliamentarian, Stars Mathe said the fire explosion was caused by fuel that was stored in the room.

“We are waiting for the police to complete their investigations. Some are suspecting that the explosion was caused by contact between petrol and a lit gas stove yet others are saying the explosive fire was ignited by a lit candle as there was no electricity”, Mathe said.

Nkayi District Development Coordinator, Matilda Mlotswa confirmed the tragic incident.

“One of the deceased is the baby’s mother who died yesterday (Sunday) and a 20-year-old man who died on the spot”, she said.

State Media

445610cookie-checkPetrol, gas explosion kills two in Nkayi