Bindura: Property worth thousands of dollars of has been destroyed after a fire gutted a shopping complex in Bindura town.

The fire destroyed many businesses including a restaurant, electrical and motor spares shops, which were housed in the affected complex.

The fire is suspected to have been  triggered by electrical appliances in the restaurant that were not switched off during a power outage although this is yet to be confirmed by fire investigators.

People who spoke to reporters had no kind words for the Bindura local council whose fire engine is said to be in bad shape.

Harare fire brigade was called in instead but they arrived when everything had been razed to the ground.