The fire that razed a hostel at Plumtree High school three weeks ago could have been started deliberately, preliminary investigations have revealed.

 The outcome vindicates school authorities who insisted that the fire could have been act of arson to conceal theft at the two-storey Lloyd Hostel.

A total of 120 pupils have been rendered shelterless by the inferno.

Investigations discounted earlier claims that the blaze could have emanated from a faulty electric cable.

Zesa Plumtree manager, Mr Victor Ndawana on Tuesday confirmed that the fire was not caused by an electrical fault.

“We discovered that the fire was not as a result of an electrical fault but could be arson. During investigations we gathered that a staffer heard footprints of people upstairs before the fire broke out. However, I will not say much as I’m not allowed speak to the Press. You can get full details of our report from Bulawayo where I sent it,” said Mr Ndawana.