A Chivhu mum was left horrified after her 9-month old baby picked up the maize grains on the ground and tried to eat them before chocking to death. The grains were reportedly dropped by her mother.

The baby was pronounced dead on arrival at Chivhu General Hospital where he had been rushed to.

Mashonaland East provincial police spokesperson Inspector Tendai Mwanza confirmed the incident:

“I confirm the death of a nine-month-old boy, who was chocked by some grains which were dropped by his mother who was eating mealies. We urge parents or guardians to always monitor their children to avoid such incidences. It is sad that we have lost a life in such a way.”Newsday