At least 3 Zimbabwe nationals from Kwekwe are believed to have been among the 14 killed in Ekurhuleni in Benoni, South Africa.
Mr Gordon Manzou an illegal miner who survived the slaughter said the killings were undertaken by a local gang that has been demanding 50R from every foreigner at the mine and threatening to kill anyone who would refuse to pay.
More bodies suspected to be of illegal miners have been found in Benoni, on the East Rand. Eight bodies were found on Monday afternoon bringing the number to 14. Police say the motive for the killings may be linked to rival gangs fighting over territory.
Police spokesperson Lungelo Dlamini says it appears the victims were either killed with panga-like weapons or shot.
Many desperate Zimbabweans are risking their lives crossing the Limpopo to work and live in some of the most dangerous places on planet earth.
Last week a video appeared online showing the moment a Zimbabwean mother and son were robbed by machete wielding thugs in South Africa after dropping from a taxi.