Spring is one of the best times of year to declutter your home and undertake some DIY projects to help spruce it up ahead of the summer months. Whether you want to redecorate a particular room, choose new flooring for your hallway or landing, or upcycle old furniture, it is always worth planning any DIY tasks in advance. This way, you can ensure you have all the necessary materials and tools to hand, and plan when the work will take place. This is especially important if you are planning a larger job, like a complete remodel of your living room. But remember – refreshing your home for spring doesn’t have to mean large projects and big renovations. Whether you own or rent your home, there are plenty of easy DIY tasks and ideas that can be completed in a weekend and can make the world of difference to a space.
Maximise Your Space
For anyone who lives in a small house or apartment, there are lots of interior design and decor ideas to maximise space that can be very helpful. Simply rearranging the furniture or replacing large items – a large coffee table for example – with smaller ones is a good place to start. Using wall space for storage can also be very helpful – this may mean attaching hooks to a hallway or bedroom wall for hanging up garments. Alternatively, installing a slim, floor-to-ceiling in-built wardrobe along a wall can offer a huge amount of storage area for clothes, shoes and accessories. Shelving and drawers alongside clothes rails will help stretch wardrobe space further. Finding clever storage solutions is also crucial in smaller homes when it comes to keeping clutter at bay.
Other easy home decor ideas and tasks include the following:
- Repaint the walls in a fresh new colour. If you don’t want to invest too much time, a signature wall in a different colour is also a great way to add a pop of brightness and add dimension to a room.
- A mirror hung in the right place can help make a room look larger or a hallway look longer. Mirrors are also a great way to bring extra light into any space. Position one opposite a window to increase the amount of natural light in a room.
- Hang framed pictures, photos or paintings to play with the atmosphere in any space.
- Mount some panelling or a skirting board to elevate the decor in any room or hallway.
- Bring the outdoors indoors and add plants and greenery to your kitchen, living room or bathroom. This not only helps to keep the air fresher, but it can lift the atmosphere in the space. Plants like areca palm and boston fern, in particular, are easy to keep and provide a great pop of green.
- Lighting can have a strong impact in the home, especially in the evenings when you are trying to wind down. Choose low-brightness, ambient lighting for evening times. Floor lamps are ideal for creating an uplighting effect.
- Adhesive contact paper is the perfect way to give your kitchen countertops. It is easy to use and remove and lets you restyle your kitchen easily in a jiffy.
A spring clean is a great time to clear the clutter and get rid of old, broken or unused items. In some cases, however, it may be best to repair or upcycle old items, rather than replace them. When it comes to household repairs, glue and epoxies can offers strong bonding solutions for use around the home. These products make tasks such as hanging pictures or building furniture much easier and quicker than using a hammer and nails, for instance. Epoxies are also ideal for making repairs on household items. They are versatile, easy to use, and provide long-term fixes for items made from a range of materials including wood, plastic and metal. So, whether you need to replace the handle of a pot, fix a doorknob or mend a broken vase, consider using a suitable adhesive to make the job more convenient.
Upcycling or creating your own furniture is a great way to reuse old household items while getting creative. You can start small and build your own coffee table, for example. DIY projects like this are also ideal for older kids and make perfect, hands-on tasks that can keep them away from the phone screen. Spring is a great time for DIY projects, big and small. As the days are getting longer and the temperatures begin to rise – make the most of this time of year and give your home a mini makeover.